Sunday, April 22, 2012

Clean Thai Red Curry Chicken with Rice

Red Curry Chicken

We love Thai food - but like most fast food - it is not healthy.  I decided to recreate a clean version of our favourite Thai dish.  It tastes great and both my guys love it!

Ingredients
2 Boneless/Skinless chicken breasts (I picked up some grass fed, no antibiotics)
2 cups Lundenberg California Brown Jasmine Rice
1 red bell pepper
1 onion
1 cup bamboo shoots
3 tbsp Thai red curry paste
2 chili pepper cubes (if you use a hot curry paste no need for this)
1 can lite coconut milk
1 tsp of canola oil
1 tbsp fish sauce
1/ tsp organic can sugar(optional - I don't add it anymore)




Directions:
1. Cook rice as per directions on package.  I like to use Lundenberg's California brown jasmine rice as a clean alternative to white jasmine rice.


2. Next heat up a wok.  I bought myself a cast iron one that I love.  Add a tsp of olive oil and sautee the onion and red peppers.  Remove onions and peppers and place to the side.


3. Add coconut milk to wok.  I bought the lighter version to make it a bit healthier.  I think there is probably healthier alternatives to this brand - something I will check out next time I am at whole foods.



Next stir in red curry paste.  Keep stirring until you get a nice smooth consistency.



At this point I add the red chili pepper cubes and stir them in.  I like buying the Toppits chili cubes.  I keep it in the freezer and use as needed.



4. Add chicken breast to the sauce and cook for 8-10 minutes.


5. Add the fish sauce and sugar at this point.  Add in the onion and pepper mix along with the bamboo shoots.


6. Serve over rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment